ewillse

Surrounded by Books

I read historical fiction, mystery, foodie memoir, and well-crafted YA (sometimes other genres).

Season to Taste: How I Lost My Sense of Smell and Found My Way

Season to Taste: How I Lost My Sense of Smell and Found My Way - Molly Birnbaum Combining foodie memoir and accessible science writing, it was pretty much guaranteed that I'd love this book. Molly Birnbaum dreams of going to culinary school and becoming a chef. But, a traffic accident wrecks her knee, breaks her pelvis, and completely destroys her sense of smell. Taking her sense of taste along with it, and plunging her into a deep (and totally understandable) depression.Her story combines learning to adjust to her new normal, some very fine food writing (though tragic, at times, in context), interesting science about a very little understood sense. Also noting- this is the first book I read start to finish on a Kindle. It was an engrossing read (foodie memoir! with science!) so I was using a new book I was almost sure I'd like, as a test case for working with the e-Reader format.The verdict: reading on an e-reader is an entirely decent way to gobble down a book. I never pictured myself saying that. Reading on a Kindle is DEFINITELY not reading a proper, paper book. There's a sense of it being not-quite-a-book while also Not A Computer. But it's a perfectly workable format.